The process involves the following steps:
- application for adoption requiring a number of important supporting documents;
- a request to the Department of Social Welfare for a home-study program, during which a social worker will visit your residence in Chiang Mai and discuss issues concerning the child and your role as the adopting parents;
- approval by the child welfare agency;
- selection of the child;
- a six-month observation period following approval;
- issuance of a final approval letter by the Child Adoption Board in Bangkok; and
- registration of the adoption at the local district registrar’s office where you are living in Thailand.
If the adopting couple is living outside of Thailand, assistance of a licensed and government-approved adoption agency is critical, as the Thai government will require such an agency’s involvement. The adopting couple will also be required to spend up to 6-12 months in Thailand in order to complete the steps enumerated above. However, the process will be much smoother with involvement of experienced and competent advisors from CNX Legal.